[tex-live] Perl for Windows

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Jun 19 11:44:23 CEST 2006

Paweł Jackowski <P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl> writes:

> Reinhard,
>>
>> It is pretty simple to do such things under Linux.
>
> My impression is that you are not really interested in solving the
> problem of installing tl/perl under windows, but to agitate, how simple
> linux world is :) Well, I don't say it is not elegant and powerfull, but
> if one is familiar with programming, *everything* becomes easy under
> windows too, unless one compares cmd with sh.

I just had the pleasure of trying to transfer files from one computer
under Windows XP to the next for my father.  Attempting to copy his
personal files to the memory stick with a recursive copy failed early
in the process because of some user-specific file being opened by the
system (which is certainly no impediment at all under Linux).  The
copy operation did not even ask whether to skip this file.  It just
aborted the whole process.  How very user-friendly and easy.  Trying
to look at the file properties of files cut short the "path to file"
at the end (the most important part of the path) because the window to
display the properties in is too short.  Resizing the window is not
possible.

Somebody I told this to said "yeah, well, you switch the explorer
display to `list' to do this".

And don't get me started on the scroll bars which jump back to home
when you try dragging them and skid off horizontally (or have they
fixed that yet after decades?).

I mean, get real.  This sort of stuff is supposed to be the outcome of
usability labs?  KDE or GNOME would get drowned in ridicule for such
antics.

No, a lot of things are quite inconvenient under Windows by design.
And I don't understand why they keep them time and again, or even make
them worse.