[tex-live] Using LM instead of CM

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jun 13 23:01:21 CEST 2006

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>   > I don't consider an old document "broken" if there is a simple
>   > recipe to make it work with a current system.  Carrying legacy
>   > cruft means that users get "stability", but also means they have
>   > too many choices so some will make bad ones, which ultimately
>   > causes problems for users, consumes bandwdth on c.t.t., etc.
>
> A document is broken if it doesn't work.
>
> TeX/LaTeX has been used as an exchange format, especially because it
> is so stable.  This is its strength and I think it shouldn't be given
> up.  It would be a mess if people have to repair their old documents
> whenever they update their TeX systems.

replacing cm by lm happens (in the case of e.g. aer) in the map files so
in practice there should be no problems; of course there can be problems
with dvi files (i dunno if dvi viewers read soem config file, but if so,
that one can be adapted too) but then, dvi is non portable anyway
>   > I suggest adding a texmf--D-E-P-R-E-C-A-T-E-D tree to support
>   > legacy docs.  Packages in this tree should have added notes
>   > explaining what changes should be made to existing documents to
>   > replace deprecated packages with "recommended" ones.
>
> An additional texmf tree doesn't solve anything because this is
> invisible to a user.  Where do you want to put explanations?  Into
> this tree?  I doubt that people find it there.  Many people are not
> aware that there is documentation in texmf/doc.

just as most people are not aware that in a map file cmr10 will point to
lmr10
> For old documents the only solution is to provide the old files
this is what a deprecated tree can provide: if one has severe problems,
due to specific local setups (for which one needs to archive anyway) one
can be adviced to install the texmf-deprecated tree alongside

> .
>
> Regarding new documents, I think that the onlyamsmath package is quite
> interesting.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE