[tex-live] Using LM instead of CM

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 20:01:59 CEST 2006

On 6/13/06, Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:
> 2006/6/8, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl>:
> > Ralf Stubner wrote:
> > > Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> continues to write:
> > >
> > > I don't understand this. The AE fonts are just a bunch of virtual fonts
> > > to make CM look like (almost) T1 encoded.
> > >
> > indeed, but we don't need virtual fonts any more

Well, VF's get around the problem of changing existing fonts (e.g., to
add missing glyphs or alternate shapes).  In my view the main drawback
is that such fonts are known only to TeX.

> Indeed, but removing them will break old documents. If it aint't
> broken, don't fix it. :-)

I don't consider an old document "broken" if there is a simple recipe
to make it work with a current system.  Carrying legacy cruft means
that users get "stability", but also means they have too many choices
so some will make bad ones, which ultimately causes problems for
users, consumes bandwdth on c.t.t., etc.

I suggest adding a texmf--D-E-P-R-E-C-A-T-E-D tree to support legacy
docs.  Packages in this tree should have added notes explaining what
changes should be made to existing documents to replace deprecated
packages with "recommended" ones.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia