[tex-live] Using LM instead of CM

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 15:34:19 CEST 2006

On 6/8/06, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> >> i exclusively use LM with the texnansi, ec, qx and x5 metrics (and
> >> soon with the el dense encoding metrics);  the only place where
> >> old cm metric files are used is in math

Even if you could get LM to work with CM metrics the resulting
confusion should not be underestimated.  Look at Helvetica/Arial/URW
Nimbus Sans -- 99% of the world thinks they are using Helvetica, but
in reality 90% are using Arial, 8% are using URW Nimbus Sans, and 2%
actually have and use Helvetica.

People increasingly expect LaTeX to play well with ConTeXt and other
applications via SVG, PDF, etc.  If LaTeX substitutes LM for CM
without forcing users to realize the change, then users will want to
use CM in the other apps and wonder why some glyphs look different.

Many people are already using LM because they need the glyphs.
Forcing the rest to switch may create some short term angst, but in
the long term the TeX community benefits if most people can use the
same fonts and understand which fonts they are using.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia