[tex-live] ufplm.fd source

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jun 7 18:59:43 CEST 2006

Hi Ralf,

    mathpazo.tpm contains many font files (pfb, afm, vf, tfm) and one LaTeX
    input file: texmf-dist/tex/latex/mathpazo/ufplm.fd. Most likely this is
    either a duplicate or an older version of the corresponding file in
    psnfss.tpm: texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/ufplm.fd. I would therefore
    suggest removing ufplm.fd from mathpazo.tpm.

My question is, what generates ufplm.fd?  Isn't it the mathpazo fontinst
sources?  The top of the file says that it is generated by pazofnst.tex,
which is part of the mathpazo package.  (CTAN:fonts/mathpazo/pazofnst)

I tried actually running tex pazofnst.tex, but it failed to find
pplr8a.afm -- not surprisingly, since the afm's in mathpazo are named
fplm*.  So obviously the sources are not in sync with what was actually
used :(.

psnfss/psfonts.dtx says that it \ProvidesPackage mathpazo, but doesn't
actually generate any ufpl*.fd files that I can see.

However, notwithstanding all that, sibling fd files such as ufplmbb.fd
exist only in psnfss, even though they are listed in pazofnst/Makefile
(and ufplm.fd is not).

So, I kind of surmise that the fd files are generated in mathpazo and
then copied/redistributed in psnfss and removed from mathpazo.  And
ufplm.fd was left behind in mathpazo by mistake.

This all seems pretty fuzzy, but anyway, I removed it from mathpazo.

Thanks,
karl