[tex-live] Proposal for collection reorganization

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 6 12:56:36 CEST 2006

  > Oh, I see. There would be a package matching cont-mpd.zip's contents,
  > and a package matching cont-tmf.zip _minus_ cont-mpd.zip.

  hm, i'd keep the files in cont-tmf as well, since what would happen if
  someone has an old mpd and then installs a newer tmf

we see here the conflict between maintenance of context, as a separate
object, and the maintenance of tex systems as a whole, which task
involves some context code that is of use to systems other than
context.

from my point of view, maintaining a the contents of cont-mpd
separately seems eminently reasonable; from yours, it seems to me that
cont-mpd is no better than a slight distraction that you generate pro
bono.

this is all very tedious, and comes from the undisputed fact that
there are people who really don't want latex, or really don't want
context.

perhaps there ought to be two completely separate distributions of
cont-mpd, like ghostscript/afpl and ghostscript/gnu -- one of those
distributions is nominally separately maintained by a non-context
person, who "blesses" any changes you make into the non-context
distribution.

note that this is an attempt to "square the circle" of the two
requirements without imposing an extra load on you -- i wouldn't dream
of suggesting you're not capable of doing the job.