[tex-live] Proposal for collection reorganization

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Jun 6 03:43:14 CEST 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Karl Berry wrote:
> > [...]
> > What I'm
> > really asking is whether there is any value to updating supp-*.tex now,
> > separately from updating context?
> >
> >     could put these two files into the MetaPost collection instead?
> >
> > Well, of course those two files could be moved, just requires some more
> > script hacking to move them out of a context directory when context is
> > updated, and into some other directory.  I'd have to think about how
> > best to handle it.
> >
> > Anyway, it does seem to make sense to separate them so that (La)TeX
> > users can benefit from them without necessarily having to install all of
> > ConTeXt.  Hans, is it ok with you?  (Naturally, they wouldn't be in any
> > big latex package either, so that context users would have to install
> > all of latex to get them :)
> >
> sure, you can package any way you want, but in order to avoid conflicts
> i suggest that they are taken from the regular context file set and
> still end up in
>
> tex/context/base
> and not somewhere else so that we don't get duplicate entries when users
> do install context.
>
> (there is a cont-mpd zip file that only has this mp relatex stuff)

Hans, we discussed that 2 (or 3) years ago
("can we separate supp-miss.tex and supp-pdf.tex from the whole
context package, so latex (and even plain pdftex) users could use that
without installing the whole context?"). The answer was "no" and I
undestand your arguments. As those files should go into _the same_
tex/context/base/ directory along with other context files, we cannot
make separate package for them, as it would break the whole concept
of packaging. So we are at the same point for TL and other distribution,
and pdflatex users have to install also context (which is done
more or less at the scheme- level).
(having the same files in the two different packages on CTAN archives
is completelly different mater here).

Perhaps it is good time to gather such files into tex/generic/context
(something similar as cont-mpd.zip on CTAN with an exception of not using
here tex/context/base), but I undestand well that for context users
supp-* are still pretty well _base_ files.
wdyt?

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl