[tex-live] LyX and cmr truetypes

John Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Jul 11 10:59:51 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 11:45 +0100, John Murdie wrote:
> I've been installing LyX on Linux here for a few years, following
> demand, but am not a user myself. Somewhere along the line, mathematics
> typefaces have stopped working - I now have LyX 1.4.1 built for use with
> the Qt GUI toolkit. A check on the LyX/Qt FAQ -
> http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/Qt - shows that the LyX people advise that a
> suitable collection of Truetype CMR  (etc?) typefaces be installed, e.g.
> http://movementarian.org/latex-xft-fonts-0.1.tar.gz
> - LyX apparently uses fontconfig -
> http://www.fontconfig.org/wiki/ - to find the typeface files.
> (fc-list(1) shows that we haven't up to now had cmr or any other
> typefaces of TeX origin known to our fontconfig system.)
>
> How does all this sit with TeXLive? Would it be best if I installed the
> `latex-xft-fonts' somewhere apart from TeXLive, or should I associate
> them with our TeXLive installation by putting them, say, under
> $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/truetype/public/xft-fonts/? Whereever I put them, is
> there any danger that my indexing them in our fontconfig installation
> will upset anything that TeXLive supplies?

Thank you to everyone who replied. From people's replies, I think it
would be sensible not to put these typeface files under TeXLive, but to
add them as a separate package which unpacks
under /usr/X11/lib/fonts/xft-fonts, say. They're not expected to
interfere with anything that TeXLive provides, but it seems sensible to
keep them separate.

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York