[tex-live] LyX and cmr truetypes

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 20:41:23 CEST 2006

On 7/10/06, John Murdie <john at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:

> I've been installing LyX on Linux here for a few years, following
> demand, but am not a user myself. Somewhere along the line, mathematics
> typefaces have stopped working - I now have LyX 1.4.1 built for use with
> the Qt GUI toolkit. A check on the LyX/Qt FAQ -
> http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/Qt - shows that the LyX people advise that a
> suitable collection of Truetype CMR  (etc?) typefaces be installed, e.g.
> http://movementarian.org/latex-xft-fonts-0.1.tar.gz
>
> - LyX apparently uses fontconfig -
> http://www.fontconfig.org/wiki/ - to find the typeface files.
> (fc-list(1) shows that we haven't up to now had cmr or any other
> typefaces of TeX origin known to our fontconfig system.)
>
> How does all this sit with TeXLive? Would it be best if I installed the
> `latex-xft-fonts' somewhere apart from TeXLive, or should I associate
> them with our TeXLive installation by putting them, say, under
> $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/truetype/public/xft-fonts/? Whereever I put them, is
> there any danger that my indexing them in our fontconfig installation
> will upset anything that TeXLive supplies?

Debian <http://packages.debian.org/unstable/tex/lmodern> indicates
that the type 1 lm fonts work with TeX Live and fontconfig.  I
installed it on my debian system, but there were errors trying to
purge the old texlive and then install the current texlive.  I haven't
had the chance to investigate due to a rash of equipment failures, so
can't say whether it really works.  If you have access to debian it
might be worth a look.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia