[tex-live] Re: [tug-board] Any news of DVDs ?

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri Jan 27 00:13:37 CET 2006

Volker RW Schaa wrote:
> Phil,
>
>> Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>>>>
>>> Ah, I sometimes forget that not yet everyone in the world has
>>> forsaken VMS for Windows :-)))  Windows XP/PRO, 3.2MHz, 2Gb,
>>> unfragmented discs with 2 spindles and 8 x 32Gb partitions, all
>>> virtually empty.
> I think the reason for that endless installation is the speed of
> your computer. Nowadays 3.2MHz isn't enough to run Windows :-)

It could also be the way Windows seems to copy files. I know it was
apparent in the days of MS-DOS and Win95, and I was told it had all
changed in 2k/NT/XP, but every time I see a big install on Windows,
it seems to spend an inordinate amount of time just copying. Is it
still using some stupid DOS copy code underneath?

Phil, you have my deepest sympathy for having Windows foisted on you
after VMS (assuming it was foisted :-)

///Peter