[tex-live] here.sty missing from TeXLive 2005

John Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Jan 26 12:13:46 CET 2006

David Carlisle's package here.sty (which adds the 'H' option to the
figure environment, meaning "put the float here") was present in TeXLive
2004 (texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/here.sty) but is not in TeXLive 2005
(with that name). It is also no longer in CTAN - which is the immediate
reason for why I suppose it is no longer in TeXLive. Is there an
underlying reason, however?

I thought of the possibility that the figure environment might now add
'H' to its list of positional specifiers, but a quick check shows that
not to be true.

Of course, I could recommend to the users here that they use package
float instead (it provides the specifier 'H') - but I know that they'll
ask why they should alter many years of papers written in LaTeX.

For the minute, I'll just carry here.sty across into texmf-local.

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York
UK