[tex-live] tcfmgr: no info for file `fmtutil.cnf' ...

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Thu Feb 2 21:57:13 CET 2006

> I'm baffled.  I don't remember ever hearing about tcfmgr before,
> although perhaps Thomas told me and I've just forgotten.  Thomas?

With teTeX-3.0, texconfig has been redesigned. The script "texconfig"
implements the batch functionality, "texconfig-dialog" implements the
curses based "gui" (is there anybody who wants to write a different /
better gui?). tcfmgr is the "texconfig file manager" which can be used to
check out / check in config files. So all the "magic" about TEXMFCONIG
and how to look up config files is in there. updamp and fmtutil also
use tcfmgr.

I did not especially mention tcfmgr. It is used "behind the scenes". If
kpsewhich properly expands variables if it can find the config files,
you will hardly ever notice it. And if kpsewhich does not work this way,
something usually is broken in the installation or configuration.

Thomas