[tex-live] Unexpected Autorun.inf on TeX Collection 2005 DVD

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Feb 2 12:51:14 CET 2006

Dear Colleagues --

Having just received my TeX Collection 2005 DVD (thank you, Robin!),
I was suprised on inserting it into a Win/XP system to be prompted to
install Protext.  Would it not be better to have Autorun.inf launch
a neutral  TeX Collection 2005 installation selector which would allow
the user  to choose between ProTeXt, CTAN, TeX Live and ConTeXt without
leading the naive user to believe that ProTeXt installation is a necessary
pre-requisite to the others ?  As it stands, the Autorun.inf file contains

	[autorun]
	OPEN=protext\Setup.exe

which launches the ProTeXt installer which itself displays "ProTeXt -
Installation"
in the title bar and then goes on to offer as Open: options  ProTeXt,
CTAN, TeX Live
and ConTeXt .  It was with more than a little trepidation that I
selected TeX Live,
being fearful that, no matter what I chose, it would still install
ProTeXt first ...

Philip Taylor