[tex-live] tcfmgr: no info for file `fmtutil.cnf' ...

John Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Feb 1 18:45:51 CET 2006

Under what conditions can this occur, does anyone know?

$ latex template
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
tcfmgr: no info for file `fmtutil.cnf' in map
`/usr/local/pkg/texlive-2005/texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr.map'.
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
$

Running 'mktexfmt latex.fmt' by itself reproduces the essential problem.

This happened only to one user here - everyone else is happy. This user
was su(1)-ed as another (group) user. Neither the home directory of the
original user nor the user to which she is su-ed had a .texlive2005
directory yet.

tcfmgr.map contains:

> # file                  rel dir                 search path             progname
> dvipdfmx.cfg            dvipdfm/config          other text files        dvipdfm
> config                  dvipdfm/config          other text files        dvipdfm
> config.ps               dvips/config            dvips config            -
> modes.mf                metafont/misc           .mf                     -
> pdftexconfig.tex        tex/generic/config      .tex                    -
> fmtutil.cnf             web2c                   web2c files             -
> mktex.cnf               web2c                   web2c files             -
> updmap.cfg              web2c                   web2c files             -
> XDvi                    xdvi                    other text files        xdvi

I can only find a little general discussion of this new-in-TeXLive-2005
mechanism in the TeXLive 2005 Guide section "4.1 The texconfig program",
and no specific mention of the potential problem. (Not having read this
section immediately after I installed TeXLive here, I hadn't realised
that I was supposed to run 'fmtutil-sys --missing' to prevent all the
users here getting latex.fmt etc. in their $HOME/.texlive2005
directories!)

When I ran `fmtutil-sys --missing', the problem then went away!

Nor can I find any mention of this in the tex-live mailing list archive
(I searched for tcfmgr).

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York