[tex-live] fontmapping file for xetex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Dec 24 00:32:15 CET 2006

On 23 Dec 2006, at 11:07 pm, Karl Berry wrote:

>     texmf-dist/fonts/misc/fontmapping
>
> I'm not fond of "misc".  What search path do you use to find these
> files?

Currently, kpse_misc_fonts, as nothing else seemed right...

> Could they be in, say, texmf/fonts/lig/xetex?  (I didn't know
> that fonts/lig existed until now, but it seems strangely
> appropriate. :)

I'd be prepared to consider changing the search path, but am not sure
fonts/lig is necessarily more appropriate; although emulating
Knuthian ligatures is one thing that we do with font-mapping files,
they can be (and are) used in other ways, too (and future releases
will likely include a bunch of such mappings related to math
alphabets and families, for example).

Changing the path would be a one-word change in a single file, so
it's easy to do, but we'd need to decide before pdftex is delivered
and the final binaries for TL2006 get built.

> Also, a copyright statement should be added, simplest is just this
> line:
> Copyright 2006 SIL International.  [Or whomever]
> You may freely use, modify and/or distribute this file.
>
> Might as well mention that the files are used with xetex, too.

Sure, will do. One possibility is to include a "xetex" directory
level, e.g,

   texmf-dist/fonts/misc/xetex/fontmapping/

(that's actually what we've been using up till now, with the "add-on"
xetex installation for teTeX-based setups).

Further comments? Would you still prefer me to change the search path
used?

JK