[tex-live] win32 and Gs [was: TL and win32]

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Dec 22 21:55:31 CET 2006

  >> The problem is that the gs installer doesn't work properly.

  > Hmmm, it's a pity, but this problem should go rather to Gs
  > developers...

Yes, but they have a bug database.  We can place a bug report there
but I don't expect a fix in a reasonable amount of time.  First, it is
unclear which priority they assign to the bug report,  and secondly
they will certainly not change anything which had been released already.

And when the problem is fixed we can probably download stuff from the
repository and compile it ourselves, but I assume that this is more
difficult on Windows than on UNIX and you want to avoid it.  I also
don't know whether everything is under GPL now.  Maybe we have to wait
for a new GPL release.

On the other hand you called the batch files "sketches".  The UNIX
shell scripts are not much better.  Maybe I should convert the scripts
to Perl for next year's TeXLive.

It seems that there is a lot we have to discuss at the next
conference.  I like Siep's idea to rename programs to avoid conflicts
very much.  It is a great advantage to have everything we need for
TeXlive under our control.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25