[tex-live] TL and win32

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Dec 21 10:05:08 CET 2006

Staszek Wawrykiewicz <staw at gust.org.pl> writes:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>
>>    * The famous 35 URW fonts (from CTAN, maintained by Walter Schmidt),
>>    * Bitstream Charter,
>>    * Adobe Utopia.
>
> Fine by me, but I'm against replacing all Gs standard fonts by our
> (still having in mind that Gs is all-purpose, independent program, which
> can be unistalled and replaced by more newer version). I'm not sure if
> fonts you proposed (removing btw. all standard ones, as you did, see 3.)
> are enough fine or better :-). "standard" fonts distributed with Gs8.54
> contains e.g. cyrillic glyphs by Valek Flipov.

The different versions containing cyrillic glyphs by Valek (who, BTW,
has always labeled his fonts as pre-releases) also introduced quite a
few bugs. See GS's bugzilla. All the additional glyphs in these fonts
are useless for GS's use of using them as substitute for the original
LW35 fonts from Adobe. The version on CTAN has the advantage that it is
the original version from URW (ie exactly what GS used to ship, a known
good state) with one bug fixed ('ß' in Nimbus Sans).

cheerio
ralf