[tex-live] TL and Win32 (2)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Dec 19 07:32:56 CET 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Akira Kakuto wrote:

> > I deleted windvi stuff from TL depo as not maintained anymore :(
> > Though windvi can still work with bitmap (pk) fonts, there's always
> > problem with cooperation with Ghostscript (type1 fonts, graphics), etc.
>
> I have very old windvi (0.67.2) and it works fine on W32TeX with
> pk fonts and type1 fonts. For type1 fonts, ps2pk or gsftopk
> with Ghostscript work fine to create pk fonts.
> You said that mktexpk became to work, so I believe that
> windvi is still usable as a dvi text previewer.
> For graphics, users will use dvips - gsview etc.

Well, I know all that, and I'd prefer having windvi for TL too, but the
problem is that windvi (0.67.3 we have) cannot cooperate well with newer
GS and people demand to install somehow more modern GS (or have it
already installed). Even on T2005 windvi (with gs7.07 also made by
Fabrice) opened with an error for preparing bitmap fonts from Type1,
than only reopening it again was succesfull. I can recall good time
when I received windvi corrected even 3 times in the same day directly
from Fabrice for testing, but unfortunatelly it is the past...
So what can we do? I remember that *most* complaints we have received
from win32 users concerned windvi. Of course, I'd be happy to reinsert
windvi for TL, if we have it working well with any GS. I still claim
that windvi is good and robust previewer...

Best,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl