[tex-live] TL and win32

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Dec 19 00:47:26 CET 2006

    I've succeded to compile all on my RH9 (hacking fontconfig.h :).

Great, although if the tug binaries are "old" enough, maybe this is
something we can take off your plate?  I guess we'll see.  Or if you
just want to upload yours, I don't mind.

Major congratulations and thanks on uploading the Windows stuff.  That
is such a massive undertaking.

    parse_first_line = f
    parse_first_line = t

Well, I don't mind.  I doubt DEK would, either.  I see I made the change
back in June, I think just because of some offhand comments on the list
that it would be nice to have a pure Knuthian TeX again, as far as I can
tell.  I am a bit surprised that you think many users of "tex" would
notice?

If the issue is MetaPost and makempx, that can be solved in another way,
by setting TEX to etex in texmf.cnf, which I plan to do anyway, since it
can avoid occasional user hassles.

Phil, this is about whether "tex" reads the first line of a file to get
the name of the format to load, as in:
%&latex
That is non-Knuthian and therefore the binary announces itself as "This
is TeXk" when the feature is turned on.