[tex-live] TL and win32

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Mon Dec 18 03:15:22 CET 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Karl Berry wrote:

> As far as pool files go, I fear there is going to be a problem with
> pdftex.pool (or whatever it's called these days) -- Akira's binaries are
> using the new pdftex beta release, but Martin hasn't updated TL yet (and
> probably won't for several more days at best), so none of the Unix
> builds will have that pool.  So we are screwed, as usual.  I guess we'll
> have to add a platform specific dir to the POOL path until things are in
> sync.

I've succeded to compile all on my RH9 (hacking fontconfig.h :).
What I wanted is that all pool files are OK with those from Akira
(except, of course, pdftex, but I'm optimistic we will end up with 1.40).
Reihard, sorry, I haven't yet try to build (without xemtex) on my older
machine...
Anyway, there is no need to add platform specific dir, as I expect pdftex
1.40 ready for all platforms for TL.

I like that we have tex.exe too for win32 (not linked to pdfetex), but
please, if we want TeX Live to be really "live" for so many users, we
have to change the default
parse_first_line = f
parse_first_line = t
in texfm.cnf

Please, have in mind that TL is for "users", not only for DEK.

Returning to our disscusion concerning separate texmf.cnf for w32, I'm
convinced that we should do it anyway. Akira introduced some more
variables in texmf.cnf (for xetex) which are related only for w32. Thanks
to the investigations made by Jonathan and Akira, such additions doesn't
hurt the rest of world, but for a sake... I'm going to upload changed
texmf.cnf-4WIN.

I'm quite ready (finally!) to upload checked binaries for w32 (perhaps
this night:-), but still have some questions:
1. the contents of texmf/dvipdfm/
   TL-svn texmf/dvipdfm/dvipdfmx.cfg
                       /config/config (and config.win32)
   Akira  texmf/dvipdfm/config/dvipdfmx.cfg
                              /dvipdfm.cfg

2. what is the status of getnonfreefonts? I found that generated one (and
   on svn repo) is different with that found on Reinhard's site (and on
   tug.org). What about windows binary: any .bat or wraper made by irun?

3. I decided to keep perl5.8.0 as enough good, small and robust for those
   win32 users not having perl, but it will be installed only on explicite
   user demand. I also moved libraries from xemtex to tlroot/perltl.

4. as for Ghostscript, I'm going to add support/gs854w32-gpl.exe which will
   be also installed on demand by tlpmgui. The problem is that it is
   installed by default in C:\Program Files\gs (I hate that!) and the
   installer have to make env variables for such crazy directory.

Any comments?

Best,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz