[tex-live] Generating tex.fmt

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Aug 7 18:21:12 CEST 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

> I (or someone :) will have to try to improve that.  Anyway, the basic
> answer is that mktexfmt should be a link to fmtutil.  fmtutil reads
> fmutil.cnf (your log says it was found in
> /usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf).  fmtutil.cnf should have a line
> like this:
> tex		tex		-		tex.ini
> which says "to build tex.fmt, run tex on the file tex.ini".
>
> But your log does not mention tex.ini.  So I'm lost at that point.

The log does say

fmtutil: format `tex' not available.

(second to last line). If I understand fmtutil correctly, this means
that the tex format is not defined in fmtutil.cnf. So the content of
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf would be most interesting. Also for
other files listed in the output of

 kpsewhere --format="web2c files" fmtutil.cnf

cheerio
ralf