[tex-live] Re: win32 install [was: Oops, forgot...]

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Sep 30 16:32:24 CEST 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, George White wrote:
>
>> [...] Does WinEdt have TeX Live support?
>
> I don't know, but I think that TeX programs should be found
> by the editor along the *current* PATH.

WinEdt looks in the registry and also checks a number of likely candidates
for the top-level TeX directory, including C:\TeX (but not
C:\tl2005.0923).  I ended editing the file to force it to use my
tl directory.

>> There is a conflict with XemTeX, which somehow finds
>>   c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\.texlive2005
>
> We use now somehow optimised configuration, e.g. don't put config
> files into $HOME

I decided to "set HOME=U:\" explicitly and move .texlive2005 there
(U:\ is our user network "home", so I can have TeX the same from
any PC).

>> I'm able to use pdftex and pdflatex, but there was a version conflict
>> with ghostscript (I have gs8.51 installed) with one of the font generation
>> commands.  I just replaced all the TeX Live gs bits with the 8.51 versions.
>
> Now you can deselect the installation of gs and/or perl if you have it
> already installed. The next tlpmgui revision (this night :-) will not set
> variables for them as well.

Good.  Maybe in the future Win32 gs and perl can be omitted from TL as
there are good, easily installed, versions readily available.  I'd prefer
that the space be used for things that are more specifically TeX-related
such as font packages.  For people who want the TL version the .zip file
could still be distributed via CTAN and DVD.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>