[tex-live] license info in tpm file

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Sep 26 20:06:21 CEST 2005

Hi Frank!

(Sorry for my trillions of emails)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
> On the other hand, it is clear that even for teTeX a simple flat list is
> completely unuseable, no matter how the list is grouped.  Let alone for
> tex-live.  So we need some manageably format;  I started with a list of
> packages, grouped by license, and a separate file indicating which file
> belonged to a package (grouped by package).  If the thing is automated,
> we could do it more readable:  A short plain-text copyright file
> referring to the actual file in html or similar; in this case each
> package could also have a link to the place where the license is
> indicated (if it is in the header of each file, to one of them).

Umpf, long term. In principle with texlive one can look up the which
packages it belongs to by grepping in tpm/*, and then looking into the
found tpm file for the license. But this is not like looking into the
debian/copyright file. But this is inpractical, as you said.

> BTW, I may have asked it before, but forgot:  the texlive repository is
> populated with already processed sty and cls files, not by copying dtx
> and ins and running latex over the ins, right?

The files are fed by the script ctan2tds in the repository. More details
I don't know, you have to ask Sebastian/Karl. I would assume that most
packages are more or less automatically installed using ctan2tds, as it
contains quite a lot of exceptions ;-)

Best wishes

Norbert

sip:preining at at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018
GASTARD (n.)
Useful specially new-coined word for an illegitimate child (in order
to distinguish it from someone who merely carves you up on the
motorway, etc.)
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff