[tex-live] some remarks

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Sep 23 18:34:20 CEST 2005

    why not change this last beast to use much more elegant approach which
    is used by all other perl scripts in TeX Live?

My recollection is that pkfix comes from CTAN.  Therefore, if it is to
be changed, then in my view it should be changed there (barring actual
brokenness).  In other words, feel free to write to Heiko :).

    well, we have other stuff like t4ht, so why not have texi2html?

I don't consider texi2html to be similar to tex4ht, for many reasons.  I
don't see much reason for either texi2html or texinfo to be included in
TL.  But there's no point in debating this now, I certainly don't
advocate removing them for this year at this late date.

    it's only that the first line needs to be changed.

Yes, and we have to do so, since it's broken.  What we really need, I
guess is to override the PERL definition at configure time, so that the
right thing ends up in the #! line.  Would you like to take a look at that?

Meanwhile, we can just fix the #! lines in the bin directories.

Thanks for the library updates.