[tex-live] Multilingual LaTeX: Greek, English, and UTF-8

W. Borgert debacle at debian.org
Tue Sep 13 09:21:22 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 01:36:24AM +0400, Alexej Kryukov wrote:
> Well, you question is a good chance for me to promote Omega and
> my antomega package :) Standard tex compiler implies too many

This sounds interesting.  Could you please point me to an FAQ
list or any other web resource?  I only found somewhat outdated
pages.

> limitations related with its 8-bit codepages. Normally, you have
> to switch between output codepages manually. If you don't
> like this, you should use Unicode both in your input and output.
> This is possible with omega/lambda, but not with tex/latex.

Interesting.  My source documents are in DocBook XML format and
converted into LaTeX with the db2latex-xsl stylesheets.  Is
there something similar for omega?

> Because standard Cyrillic encodings contain both Cyrillic and
> Latin characters, while the de facto Greek encoding contains
> only Greek ones. You know, there are too many accented characters
> in polytonic Greek, and so after mapping all them there is just no
> place remaining for Latin characters.

OK, now I understand.  I just didn't know, that Greek is so
complex.

> However, support for Latin characters in Cyrillic codepages is
> also limited: you still can't type language-specific symbols
> (like German double "s" or the "ae" ligature) without switching
> to a Latin codepage (e. g. T1).

Fortunately not so important for very current and purely
technical documents :-)

Thanks for your answers!

Cheers,
--