[tex-live] Multilingual LaTeX: Greek, English, and UTF-8

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at numericable.fr
Tue Sep 13 00:43:06 CEST 2005

Le 12/09/2005 22:49, W. Borgert a dit :
> Hi,
>
> many thanks for the explanation!  More questions below.
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 02:49:21PM +0200, Michel Bovani wrote:
>
>>utf8/ucs allow you to type directly  <alpha> in your input file, that's
>>all : this alpha is mapped to the command \textalpha which is defined by
>>\DeclareTextSymbol{\textalpha}{LGR}{"61} in ucsencs.def.
>>
>>But in order to get latin chars you have to go back to the T1 encoding
>>(that's what do \textlatin)
>

> Is there a way to let LaTeX do this automatically?  In the input
> file, the characters are entirely different, so in theory it
> should be possible for LaTeX to deduce the right mapping, right?

I am not a TeX guru, but as it was explained, here we deal with basic
ascii chars, say "d". I don't see any way to get "d" be something else
that to be simply "d", apart to make "d" active, and define it in such a
way that it will switch to the standard encoding...

But if one do that, think to what will happen to the \def command...
                                                       ^

And of course calling an input encoding may define the behaviour of not
"standard" chars, but must *not* change the behaviour of standard chars.

--
Michel Bovani