[tex-live] idea about graphics rule

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Sun Sep 11 19:12:42 CEST 2005

Why is it that in DVI mode (via LaTeX) then graphicx does not know the
.mps extension? It's a subset of EPS anyway.

The main problem is when one wants to include METAPOST figures directly
using pdflatex. These often have extensions like .1, .2, .3 \dots

So the recommendation goes: Use

 	\DeclareGraphicsRule{*}{mps}{*}{}

But that fails when one wants to compile ones document using LaTeX instead
of pdfLaTeX. So one needs

\usepackage{ifpdf}

\ifpdf
\DeclareGraphicsRule{*}{mps}{*}{}
\fi

Is there any reasons for you not to include mps as one of the formats
recognized by graphicx in dvi mode? (I cannot remember which file it is
that needs to be changed a little).

(I've just tested it with the latest 2005 TL beta so I know the problem
still exists).

--

/daleif

``You cannot help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do for themselves. ''
  -- Abraham Lincoln