[tex-live] Very OT: KVM switch (DVI/USB)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Sep 7 15:32:14 CEST 2005

Dear all,

sorry to bother you with this very OT subject but given my role here I
think I may be forgiven.

The problem is that my hardware setup to maintain TeX and related is
becoming very complex. I have to work with 2 hardware architecures
(powerpc and intel), 2-3 OS versions (10.4, 10.3 and 10.2) in various
variants (e.g. with and without X11) and 2-3 TeX releases (2003, 2004
and 2005). And that is only for TeX.

So my desk has become an almost unusable clutter of computers,
keyboards, mice, etc. I am in need of a high quality KVM-switch (attach
one DVI screen+USB to multiple computers). As far as I know,
experiences with these devices are often mixed, e.g. at higher
resolutions or with USB. I need one to attach my LaCie Photon20Vision
at 1600x1200 at least to a Mac Cube with a Radeon 7000 with DVI, and a
Mactel machine (also with a Radeon DVI).

So I am solliciting your help. If you have direct knowledge about
KVM-switches or you know people who have, please mail me directly with
actual, first hand, knowledge.

Yours,

(KVM = Keyboard, Video, Mouse, but these days it is about DVI+USB)