[tex-live] (not urgent) TL 64 bit optimization

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Sun Sep 4 22:53:43 CEST 2005

We just recently got ourselfs a 64 bit Linux server for doing calculations
and simulations.

Since it's fairly new noone has started using it, so I've copied an
existing TL 2004 dist. to it, just to test the speed.

It's damn fast. I cannot remember the specs, but it's at least twice as
fast as our former fastest server.

But the TL 2004 installation is just for 32 bit, so my question is whether
the TL source actually has a specific target for 64 bit linux?

Basically the idea is that compiled specifically for this architecture it
may even be faster.

BTW: are there any standard way of testing the speed of (La)TeX and
friends in a way such that one can compare it to other peoples results.

--

/daleif

``You cannot help men permanently by doing for them
what they could and should do for themselves. ''
  -- Abraham Lincoln