[tex-live] Utopia fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 18 01:52:22 CEST 2005

  > and GNU/Linux (several distributions) have them in I would
  > feel better if there was some statement somewhere, from anyone
  > (but ideally from Adobe), about the basis on which they concluded
  > the fonts are free.  As I said, the license is contradictory.

Contradictory to what?  To the statement in the afm/pfb files?

Thanh asked Adobe (he wanted to add glyphs) and they told him that
only the X consortium has to decide.  So there is a clear statement
from Adobe.

Unfortunately it seems that nobody of the X consortium feels
responsible.  No wonder, Adobe donated the fonts centuries ago and the
people who had been involved at this time are certainly not available
any more.

Can't we assume then that the fonts have the same license as the X
system?

At least the Adobe copyright notice is not the problem.

Here is an excerpt from Thanh's mail (tex-fonts at math.utah.edu):

    However I am not sure that I can modify them to add
    vietnamese support, because I am very ignorant of
    license/copyright issues

    Concerning Adobe Utopia, I did my best to try to find out
    the answer, but without success: I asked people at Adobe
    first and got a response saying that they have granted the
    font license to X Consortium, so now only X Consortium can
    grant the permission to modify these fonts. I wrote to X.Org
    and got a response saying that  my question is being processed
    and then nothing (it was a few months ago). So I gave it up.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25