[tex-live] Re: Symbolic linking fails

Christian Lasarczyk christian.lasarczyk at udo.edu
Fri Nov 25 18:15:45 CET 2005

Hi Karl,
this might be the reason, but if so, there must be an other reason, why
I am the first one (on this mailing list) suffering from this bug :). So
I do some further investigations and found, that there has been an
update to unzip (date: 2005/11/21 ) due to a vulnerability
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=321927):

lasar at mixit:lasar 64 % unzip -v
UnZip 5.52 of 28 February 2005, by Debian. Original by Info-ZIP.

Latest sources and executables are at ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ ;
see ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html for other sites.

Compiled with gcc 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13) for Unix (Linux ELF) on Nov
17 2005.

UnZip special compilation options:
        ACORN_FTYPE_NFS
        COPYRIGHT_CLEAN (PKZIP 0.9x unreducing method not supported)
        SET_DIR_ATTRIB
        TIMESTAMP
        USE_EF_UT_TIME
        USE_UNSHRINK (PKZIP/Zip 1.x unshrinking method supported)
        USE_DEFLATE64 (PKZIP 4.x Deflate64(tm) supported)
        VMS_TEXT_CONV
        WILD_STOP_AT_DIR
        [decryption, version 2.9 of 05 May 2000]

UnZip and ZipInfo environment options:
           UNZIP:  [none]
        UNZIPOPT:  [none]
         ZIPINFO:  [none]
      ZIPINFOOPT:  [none]

I am *not* sure, that this is the reason for my problem, but if so and
if other distributions patch unzip the same way, no one (or no not-root
user) will be able to install TeXLive 2005.

Best regards,
   Christian