[tex-live] metapost oddness

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Nov 14 01:34:45 CET 2005

  > what's up with that

  > newer: target file `test.mpx' doesn't exist.

  > line? It's gone the next time the file is compiled. Is this just a
  > new feature or what's happening?

Lars, thank you for reporting this.  I'll fix it and send Olaf a
patch.  Until then you can ignore the message.

It simply means that the mpx file doesn't exist and has to be
created.  The background is this:

John Hobby's version of newer accepted only two arguments.  To make
this program more useful I wrote one which can have more than two
arguments, so that you can write:

  if newer *.tex abc.dvi; then
    tex abc.tex
  fi

I also added a --verbose option to report missing files.  Olaf found
this useful and made it the default.  Though a missing input file is
an error and should be reported, a missing output file should not
produce a message unless requested.  Will be fixed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25