[tex-live] Missing/broken package in TeX Live

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Nov 8 23:35:35 CET 2005

  > Basically, to get the arev package (included in TeX Live) to work
  > one also has to install the mathdesign package (*not* currently
  > included in TeX Live) and ensure that arev's .enc files are
  > installed someplace dvips can find them, as opposed to in arev's
  > default location.

Mathdesign needs fonts which cannot be distributed on a CD/DVD because
their copyright is not appropriate or at least unclear.

For this reason TeXLive-2005 now has a backdoor.  If you have the
*latest* version of TL2005, there is a UNIX shell script,
"getnonfreefonts" and a symlink "getnonfreefonts-sys".

This script downloads and executes a script "getfont" from
ftp://tug.org which then downloads and installs the fonts.
getnonfreefonts installs to $TEXMFHOME and getnonfreefonts-sys
installs to $TEXMFLOCAL.

There is a manpage for getnonfreefonts, but you get more up-to-date
information with "getnonfreefonts --help".  The latter will also tell
you which fonts are currently supported.

To access the manpage, set MANPATH=..../texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH, unless
you did this already.

You must have at least one of the following programs installed on your
system: wget, lftp, ncftp, curl, snarf, or gftp.

I just added support for mathdesign.

  > \documentclass{minimal}
  > \usepackage{arev}
  >
  > \begin{document}
  > Does this $\steaming$ work?
  > \end{document}

Yes, after running getnonfreefonts it works for me.  Please let me
know whether you have any problems.

Thanks for the info and the test file.  Life is easier if people provide
test files.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25