[tex-live] Proposal for a tex-base package

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue May 17 18:55:50 CEST 2005

Hi friends!

I want to start a discussion on the usefulness of creating a basic
tex-base package. Reason: I want to build the debian packages for
texlive using the utilities from tetex. Frank once already suggested
such a package, so here is a short proposal. I would like to hear some
comments before I try out the whole stuff ;-)

Proposal for a tex-base package
===============================

This package should include the basic infrastructure for managing TeX
systems on debian installations.

ATM I would suggest:

        /usr/sbin/update-{fmtutil,texmf,updmap}
        /etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg
        /etc/texmf/texmf.d/*
        /etc/texmf/fmt.d/00tetex.cnf

(anything else?)

Comments to the files:
----------------------
The four update-XXX files are useful for other tex packages
the 00updmap.cfg probably will be empty or only some comments, other
NNxxx.cfg files are installed by the respective tex packages and
activated by calling update-updmap.

texmf.cnf file snippets: I assume that all the config files will finally
be more or less equal, if the pathes are not too different. I would again
suggest a minimal texmf.d/00tex-base.cfg file which includes some comments,
and the other packages install new snippets.

Same for the fmt.d snippet.

The following changes would be necessary:
* All references to tetex should go to tex-base, ie
        update-updmap
                FONTMAP_MEMORY_DIR=/var/lib/tex-base/debian/fontmap-cfg
        update-texmf
                MD5SUMS=/usr/share/tex-base/texmf.cnf.md5sum.d
                (Necessary, do we have upgrades ;-)
        update-fmtutil
                /etc/texmf/fmt.d/00tetex.cnf rename

* Adaption of the tetex packages

I have already a version of the tpm2deb utility which creates the map
files and the respective .cfg files for updmap.d and want to try this
out. But before I start hacking the update-XXXX files I want to hear you
opinion on this.

Thanks a lot on any input and all the best.

Norbert

sip:preining at at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018