[tex-implementors] Re: [tex-live] LM as the default outline font?

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Mar 29 16:39:22 CEST 2005

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> Frank Küster wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>   But I
>> think it is common that everything that is not separated by such a
>> separator is regarded as one number; and then 0.982 is larger than 0.99,
>> anyway.
>
> Not in any world with which I am familiar.  What on earth is /wrong/
> with 0.982, so long as it has normal (real) semantics, and therefore
> satisfies :
>
> 	0.98 < 0.982 < 0.99

If I know that there will never be a lmodern version 0.100 (and 0.101,
0.299, 0.903, 0.993), then there is nothing wrong with it.  But this
only works for the LM fonts.  Anybody who wants to describe and
implement a scheme for version comparison that is generally applicable
to different pieces of software in a collection (like CTAN) or
distribution (like any Linux distribution), he will have to arrange for
version numbers in the three-digit range.  Of course my less version 382
must be higher than some ancient version 39, and of course
libconvert-binhex-perl version 1.119 must be higher than 1.12.  There is
no way to tell that lmodern will have 1.00 after 0.99 without knowing
about lmodern, in other words it is impossible in a generally applicable
version comparison.  And if 0.100 is higher than 0.99, then 0.982 will
be higher, too.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster