[tex-live] texlive 2005

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Mar 17 02:18:35 CET 2005

    the only thing fabrice dropped doing for tex live was the installer

Fabrice himself has said that he is dropping support for DVI output, DVI
previewers, bitmap fonts, and some indeterminate set of utilities.  I
realize full well that he, you, and others do not care about these
things, and there's no reason you should spend time on them when you
don't care about them, but this is not universal.

    i can imagine multiple binary variants to operate on the same tree

Me too.  Christian told me that he is not opposed, in principle, to
using the texmf-dist tree from TeX Live.  Where that stands in practice,
I do not know.

    i'm also curious what will happen with the miktex-unix variant if
    that one surfaces

Christian also told me that Hans Nordhaug was porting the command-line
package manager to Unix.  A Unix port of the full MiKTeX distribution is
not contemplated.