[tex-live] special.map handling

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Wed Jun 22 22:34:24 CEST 2005

> They have to get added to http://tug.org/fontname/special.map,
> there's an autoupdate there.  I did that.  Thanks.

Hmm, now special.map in the TeXLive repository doesn't contain my
entries...  I think that something must be screwed up.  Please check.

>     theoretically most Type 1 fonts used by the CJK package need
>     similar entries (these are a few hundred lines).  Shall I add
>     them too?  Given that xdvi, dvips, and pdftex directly use the
>     outline fonts it's probably overkill, but...
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  Are these fonts which only exist in
> outline form?

Yes.

> If so, there's no reason to add them to special.map.

This what I've asked.  So I won't do anything further.

> Even if they do exist as bitmaps, would users ever actually
> intentionally want to use them instead of outlines?  It doesn't seem
> likely ...

I think so too, but there might be drivers which still can't use PS
fonts and need to call mktexpk.

    Werner