[tex-live] TPM bug

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Mon Jun 20 18:54:55 CEST 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Karl Berry wrote:

>     but only three (amsfonts, cmextra, and latex) contain
>       <TPM:Build>
>
> I believe Staszek put those in in his recent changes, under a
> misconception which I've mentioned before: in texmf-dist and texmf-doc,
> it is useless to have a <TPM:Build> ... </TPM:Build> section with
> RunPatterns, because the Tools/tlrebuild script *automatically*
> regenerates the entire tpm file in those hiers and throws out any such
> patterns and other such "extraneous" stuff anyway.

I'm quite sure I didn't touch <TPM:Build>

> Put another way, the file lists in texmf-dist and texmf-doc cannot be
> changed manually.  They must follow certain patterns, usually meaning
> that all the files have to be in a directory with the same name as the
> package name.  Any unavoidable special cases have to be accounted for in
> the tpm-factory

Yes, but it isn't so clear how to do that.
Now such special cases should be applied for amsfonts (and perhaps for
some other packages).

> [...] but there were no complaints about the
> files in Staszek's font reorg.)

Anyway, amsfonts.tpm again doesn't contain fonts themselves...
We need "amsfonts" key for latex's stuff and "ams" key for fonts.
We have now the layout which couldn'd be messed with other packages
I discussed many times that layout with Thomas and we agreed that
such layout will be also followed in teTeX.

> In texmf, editing the file lists is still useless, though; the patterns
> must be changed to add or remove files, since the patterns are what
> tlrebuild uses to generate the file lists.  Fabrice wrote some
> additional utilities that check the tree against the patterns, etc., etc.

This not applies for <TPM:Requires> I hope. They should be still
edited by hand.

Kind regards,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz