[tex-live] tl default installation dir

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Jun 5 19:55:04 CEST 2005

Karl Berry wrote:
>     I prefer /usr/local/texlive/2005
>
> Good.  Done.
>
> I realized this has the advantage that texmf-local can now be a sibling
> with 2005 -- at least I think this the right thing, since (except for
> the darn map files) texmf-local trees with release N should keep working
> with N+1.
>
> texmf-var, on the other hand, seems specific to a given release, .fmt
> changes, etc., so that should be under 2005, I think.
>
> Thus:
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
> /usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf-var
> /usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf-dist
> /usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf-doc
> /usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf
>
> Speak if objections ...

this could be tricky in determining where texmf-local lives (that is, when it's
specified relative to the texmf parent path), i.e. this autoparent trickery;
imagine users who have more trees (texmf-extra, texmf-fontst, texmf-project,
texmf-tugboat, ...), so maybe you will need something

year = 2005
TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/{$year,}/texmf

needs some deep thinking (for me)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE