[tex-live] dvipdfmx

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 3 10:17:20 CEST 2005

Karl Berry wrote:

> Why isn't there one program, named dvipdf?  It's very confusing and
> breaks uses of the old name.

i have no idea if dvipdfm is actively maintained; there probably is a good
reason for the new name (like tex and etex; there has been odvips in the past if
i'm right); there are also localized cjk versions

> Maybe we should try to contact Mark Wicks and see if he would agree to
> dvipdfmx being installed as dvipdf and dvipdfm as well, and changing the
> web pages, etc.

one problem may be that in asia people are already very accustomed to the 'x'; i
would not be surprised if there are more 'mx' users than 'm' users

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE