[tex-live] Re: Help sought: debian/texlive configuration/interaction with tex-common

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Mon Jul 18 13:35:53 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> * What are the essential things we have to do, and how?
>
> - texmf.cnf
> 	ATM we don't have any additional configuration files for
> 	/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf.d, so, is it enough to just link
> 	/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf to /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf?
> 	Do we have to call some ucf magic etc???

I think (although I'm not completely sure ATM) it is sufficient to ship
the symlink in /usr/share/texmf/web2c/.  The call to update-texmf is
already done by tex-common.

> - updmap.cfg
> 	I believe that we don't have to do anything here for the
> 	texlive-basic package, as updmap.cfg is already (from
> 	tex-common) in /var/lib/texmf/web2c, which is TEXMFSYSCFG or
> 	so.
> 	Other packages containing map files install an entry into
> 	/etc/texmf/updmap.d/ already and call
> 		update-updmap --quiet
> 	Is there more to do?

Yes, because update-updmap does *not* call updmap, you have to do that
manually.  This is something we have discussed before, but we never
decided what we should do.  One option, of course, would be to include
the updmap call in update-updmap.  However there were some reasons
against it (don't recall the details), and there's an other option:  We
could try to delay all or some of the time-consuming tasks (like format
creation and running updmap), moving them from the individual postinst
script to the tasks that dpkg carries out after it has finished all
postinst scripts.  Thus, this would only have to be done once.  The
problem is that currently I don't know how we can make sure that if
something goes wrong in that stage, we can direct the blame on
tex-common.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster