[tex-live] Debian-TeXlive Proposal II

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Jan 25 14:59:38 CET 2005

> Dear all!
>
> After some time of absence and of reading through the suggestions I got
> from the debian-devel list and especially Frank, I have (hopefully)
> improved the proposal and would like to ask you again for your comments.
>
> There are two question below, please consider. And please send me all
> your comments, flames etc.
>

> Proposal for a Debian packaging system for TeXlive
> (last update: 2004-01-25)

My apologies for being so underinformed, but can someone point me to an
explanation of what Debian packages are and what they do? Or just explain
it to me here?

Should I be worried that TL will become less OS-independent as it is now?
Not all users are on Linux ;-)

(e.g. I read about stuff with "mount --bind", isn't that Linux specific?
Does that exist in Darwin or other Unices?) Etc.