[tex-live] Re: Packaging TeXlive as Debian packages

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 15:09:22 CET 2005

Norbert Preining wrote:

>I want to hear your opinion on the packaging concept of TeXlive for
>Debian:

I cannot explain how happy it makes me to see Norbert pick this up!
This has been my dream for 3 years now. I almost had it done then,
but lost my work in a disk crash and got discouraged.

>All debian package names are prefixed with tl-

agreed

>The tpm in texmf/tpm/ (collection-*, bin-*, lib-*, hyphen-*, scheme-*)
>are mapped to debian packages.

where scheme-* are virtual Debian packages?

>Mapping:
>	bin-XXX		->	tl-XXX-bin 	(standard debian notation)
>	collection-XXX	->	tl-XXX
>	lib-XXX		->	tl-lib-XXX	(??)
>	hyphen-XXX	->	tl-hyphen-XXX
>	scheme-XXX	->	tl-scheme-XXX

I think that in practice we dont have tl-lib-* for Linux

>TPM-Requires between these packages are mapped to Debian Dependencies.
>
>All other files obtained from a TPM-Require are included in the
>debian package.

agreed.

>Any suggestions? I will start on writing some stuff to get debian
>packages from the tpm files, using Tpm.pm from Fabrice.

that should be fine.

One very serious problem which would effect this ever
reaching "real" Debian is that the source is monolithic.
Ideally, we'd split the current source tree into separate bits,
but perhaps thats better left to a later stage.

we also need to deal with the Debian conventions. Lets assume
all the texmf* trees are installed into /usr/share/texlive, but we
cannot put binaries in /usr/share/texlive/bin/$ARCH, so we'll need
a texmf.cnf installed (in /etc/texlive, I assume) which the binaries
will find and does the right thing.

teTeX shows the way forward for some of these issues, of course.

Sebastian