[tex-live] TeXlive for Debian - upload to experimental

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 14:44:36 CET 2005

On 12/22/05, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Dear Neil, dear Jörg, dear all!
>
> I have done another rebuild of the TeX live packages. Now all the
> dependencies/conflicts with tetex are correct and let those packages
> cooperate.

Thanks again for all your hard work, Norbert.   I admit that my personal
inclination is to stick
with the standard tex live distribution, but I get involved helping a couple
small secretariats that use TeX for reports with authors spread across the
globe, and find most authors prefer to
stick with software they can install via the distribution's package manager,
so I'm sure your
efforts will make life easier for lots of people.

aptitude picked up the new versions, but I had a small problem with
"apt-get install texlive-plain-extra":

Setting up texlive-plain-extra (2005-1) ...
Running mktexlsr. This may take some time. ... done.
Building format(s) --byfmt eplain. This may take some time. ...
fmtutil-sys failed. Output has been stored in
/tmp/texlive.fmtutil.XX52cYKc
Please include this file if you report a bug.

dpkg: error processing texlive-plain-extra (--configure):

 ---
# cat /tmp/texlive.fmtutil.XX52cYKc
fmtutil: format `eplain' not available.
 ---

The texmf/tex/eplain directory was missing.

Copying the texmf-dist/tex/eplain directory from an original TeX Live 2005
tree to my
/usr/local/share/texmf tree was sufficient to get past the problem.   I
haven't
installed all the packages due to space/time constraints, so maybe
texmf/tex/eplain
comes in a different package.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia