[tex-live] documentation for "geometry"

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Dec 21 01:12:47 CET 2005

  >     In TL there are many files which cannot be accessed by
  > texdoctk yet.  I admit I don't see that as sufficient reason to
  > invent strict new directory structures.

  > It seems to me that what would be most general/useful is to create
  > doc-related data files which list what files are available, what
  > language they are in, and so on.  texdoc/texdoctk could be
  > modified to read such files much more easily than we change the
  > whole tree around.

Yes but we need some conventions for the file system to avoid name
clashes.  There are too many files "manual.pdf" yet.

When I suggested a scheme like

     texmf/doc/<category>/<package>/...

I always thought about whether we need <category> at all.  But I think
that we need it, we can no longer rely on the fact that filenames are
unique on a system.  We have 55,312 files in TL already.

XML files don't help.  We need a directory standard to avoid name
clashes.  And Context and LaTeX are different worlds.  I think that
Hans should name his files as he likes without trying to avoid name
clashes with LaTeX files.  This can only be achieved with a proper
file system standard.

And if we are in luck, the number of files increases linearly with
time. Then we have 100,000 files in ten years.  But I fear that it
increases exponentially.  Sigh.

We really depend on directories.

Regards,
  Reinhard