[tex-live] Live CD

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Dec 15 01:39:58 CET 2005

Hi Peter,

    anyone had done it already for a run-from-CD TL2005 instead of a DVD.

Not to my knowledge.

    it's making the setup suitably foolproof which takes
    the time.

What I would do is start with the live image, remove all the binaries
you are not interested in, and see how much more has to go after that.
The sources are probably the only other big thing that is easy to
remove.  Whether that will get you to 700mb, I don't know.  I doubt it.
Probably have to start removing packages.  Good luck :).

BTW, some directory on the hard disk will still have to be writable, so
the format files, among other things, can be created.  Hopefully the
sysadmins will permit that much.  (I've kind of thought we should
include format files in the distribution, so that we could have
something that was truly live, but it hasn't happened yet.)

If you do come up with a live CD image, it would be a nice thing to have
available for others, so let me know, ok?

Cheers,
karl