[tex-live] TeXlive for Debian - ready for experimental?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Dec 14 13:54:09 CET 2005

On Mit, 14 Dez 2005, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >Please note that texlive-htmlxml is gone. It is replaced by tex4ht,
> >xmltex, passivetex, jadetex, all of them in `fixed' versions in the
> >updpkg/ repository.
> >

> For what its worth (not much, since I have not been participating),
> I believe this to be a Bad Thing. The whole point of texlive was to be
> complete,
> and _replace_ these balkanized ad hoc packages.

I concur with you, but I have to bow to the limits and regulations of
Debian, too.

In principle it is not a bad idea to have these packages separate, as
updates *can* be incorporated more easily.

Of course, the problem is that these packages have to have active
maintainers.

Bottom line: Let's hope that the maintainer are not getting bored with
their packages and keep them up-to-date, then we don't have any problem.

Side note: I can easily take in currently blacklisted packages if the
maintainer of the respective package gives up. My aim is to have a
complete TeX live system on Debian, and ATM I can do this by
	aptitude install texlive
The packages not in the texlive-debs are at the same level compared to
TeX live, so there is no problem with this.

> ah well. I don't expect ever to have time to work on PassiveTeX again
> anyway :-}

;-)

Best wishes

Norbert

DIBBLE (vb.)
To try to remove a sticky something from one hand with the other, thus
causing it to get stuck to the other hand and eventually to anything
else you try to remove it with.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff