[tex-live] Re: Problem with T1 encoding and Type1 fonts

Ralf Stubner Ralf.Stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Aug 26 14:00:51 CEST 2005

Morten Høgholm <moho01ab at student.cbs.dk> writes:

> The fix-cm package in the LaTeX base distribution enables scalable
> fonts and avoids all the EC sizes of 20pt and above because they are
> butt ugly. For the T1 and TS1 encodings that amounts to app. 200 pfb
> files, so that would be about half the size, right?

For T1 and TS1 encodings fix-cm is definitely the way to go. But it does
not change the T2[ABC] encodings, that are provided by cm-super, too.
Incorporating these encodings into fix-cm would be necesary IMO. But
still, that is something the user has to enable, just like type1ec with
option 10pt.

Another factor of 2 in size can be achived with gzip + pfb2t1c (from the
cm-super/debian subdirectory). There would be quite a bit of saved space
if one would use it for all Type1 fonts in TeX Live and teach dvips/
pdftex/dvipdfmx about this format. No, I am not volunteering. ;-)

cheerio
ralf