[tex-live] Problem with T1 encoding and Type1 fonts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Aug 26 17:41:25 CEST 2005

    scaling cmr10 to 17pt ON THE MAP LEVEL will produce ugly result,

Well, there is no need to do that one in particular; lmr17.pfb exists.

In general, however, you are of course correct that LM does not provide
fonts designed at every size of EC file.  This is well known.  Obviously
we do not want to noticeably/unacceptably degrade quality.  So if the
result of scaling is unacceptable, then we would go back to including
all of cm-super.

However, there is a more basic issue -- as far as I can tell there is no
way to scale fonts in map files.  There is /SlantFont, /ExtendFont, and
/ReEncodeFont, but there is no /ScaleFont.

In fact, I now seem to recall discussing this with Hartmut, Hans, and
others, and concluding it was not going to happen any time soon.

So I guess we are back to the full cm-super.