[tex-live] libstdc++.so.6

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Aug 5 15:43:30 CEST 2005

Karl Berry wrote:
>      --with-cpp-runtime-hack
>
> The string "cpp-runtime-hack" does not appear anywhere in the current
> sources in TeX Live, BTW.  Oh, looking at web2c/configure.in, it seems
> to be --with-cxx-runtime-hack.  (I hate C++.)

Check, I got my plus-transliterations confused.

> Staszek's build will probably go against libstdc++ v5, which is better
> but not good enough, since Taco reported that Mandriva may ship without
> v5, with *only* v6.  It's nice to see such concern for compatibility :(.
> Sheesh.

The v5 is in the distribution of course, but it is quite possible (and
becoming increasingly likely as time passes) that it will not have been
installed (by the user|installation program).

> (BTW, last year's lcdf binaries also dynamically linked against
> libstdc++, and I don't remember getting any bug reports about it.)

v5 has been with us a long time. But I remember similar headaches
from the previous libstdc++ transition, when v5 first appeared on
the scene.

>     because something in texinfo fails (don't kow how
>     to make version.texi) Is this known/my fault, or should I attempt
>     to isolate the error precisely?
>
> Texinfo builds fine for me.  version.texi exists in my original
> distribution as an up-to-date file; it should not need to get rebuilt.
> Maybe your timestamps are munged.

Quite possible. It would not be the first time. I'll try fetching the
branch again with "force" and see if that helps.

Taco